Wednesday 21 September 2011

The sewing vibe

I was trying to find some kind of play of words or pun related to the Uncle John and Whitelock Song 'Maryhill Vibe' as I've been really enjoying listening to them again recently.  However my brain isn't working very fast at the moment so all I could come up with was 'sewing vibe' - which I haven't really been feeling much of the past few weeks.  I just seem to have been so tired weekday evenings that I decided just to go with it - embrace the tiredness and vegetate in front of the TV. That's not to say I haven't been thinking about it though! I had a lovely day with socistorian a few Saturday's ago now - enjoying Yinka Shonibare's replica of HMS Victory with all its beautiful textile work, followed by fabric shopping on Goldhawk Road where I picked out some lovely fabric for pajama trousers (only £2 a metre - bargain!).

Then, two weekend 's ago we had Oliver's family down visiting and whilst he took his dad and brother-in-law to see the football I went with his mum, sister and aunt to see 'The Power of Making' at the V&A. What an amazing exhibition - so impressive!  There were lots of standout pieces for me, including the Alexander McQueen Armadillo shoes, the life-size crocheted bear and this wonderful sugar craft tiger.  It's a free exhibition so I'll definitely be going back to see it again as there was a lot to take in, including a really interesting looking video on many of the talented craft's people included in the show.

It really made me think about the place of craft in the art world - something I'm looking forward to exploring further when I go to hear Grayson Perry talk at the British Museum at How and Why I Draw after the launch of his installation 'The Tomb of the Unknown Craftsman'.

photo

1 comment: