Sunday 30 June 2013

Sherbet Scout Woven Tee

My first Grainline Scout tee and, like the Grainline Tiny Pocket Tank, definitely the first of many! I love this pattern and it's perfect for my expanding pregnancy tum.  I'm now five months pregnant and all of a sudden most of my skirts, jeans and dresses (eh that'll be most of my clothes then) are just that wee bit too tight.  So why I'm sewing tops when most of my tops still fit ok?  Well I just couldn't resist another Grainline pattern, and the chance of a sew-along with Nettie!  The Scout sew-along is on the Kollabora website - an online sewing community.  I remember reading about it a while ago but I hadn't signed up until this sew-along.  It looks like a great website though, with some really useful video tutorials, and lots of inspiration from fellow sewers.


Nettie's instructions for checking the fit using another top that fits well was such a good idea and really helped.  From using a really old and comfy shop-bought short sleeved shirt I was quickly able to see that the arm scythe was going to be too tight.  I'm not sure if there's a 'proper' way to fix this but I just drew a new lower line under the arm and cut it.  This has resulted in the sleeve fitting perfectly without any gathering which is a bonus as I do find easing the sleeves in quite difficult (luckily I quite like puffed sleeves haha!). I had to put a seam down the middle of the back and managed to line the pattern up really well - yay! I used french seams throughout and really love this method now.  Check out Jen's tutorial for this as it's so clear.  This fits perfectly now but still has plenty of room in the front for my growing bump!


The fabric I used for this one came from a very flouncy dress I bought at a market stall in Brighton because I just couldn't resist the colours and pattern.    The colours remind me of sherbet, you know like those flying saucers you used to get for a penny from the local shop?  It's difficult to see but in the photo below you can just make out the vertical lines of cut-out dots which give the fabric a really light and airy feel. This is a perfect summer top and I know it'll get so much wear - in fact I'm almost finished my second one as I write this (I'm just off to finish the sleeves and do the hem now).

If you need any more convincing on how great this pattern is then just check out the gallery of completed Scouts - how could you not be inspired by these!?!


Following a sew-along is just such a nice feeling - knowing that all over the world there are other sewers making the same pattern or alterations on the same pattern, and knowing there's a whole community of people you can compare notes with, ask questions too, and share tips. If you've never taken part in a sew-along, or are new to sewing, I'd really recommend it! So thanks Nettie, and thanks Kollabora!

This also counts as part of Indie Pattern Month

16 comments:

  1. Gosh, I didn't realise you are pregnant! Congratulations!

    This blouse is beautiful. I love that fabric. It's so pretty, but interesting at the same time! I think this may be a pattern I need to invest in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen! and thanks for the blouse compliment too. I can really recommend the Grainline patterns. Jen's instructions and tips are so good and I've not had any issues with printing these off to the right size.

      Delete
  2. I didn't know you were pregnant- congrats!!! That is so exciting! You will soon have a little person to sew for, kids clothes go quick, it's pretty fun :) I really like your sherbet Scout too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly! I'm looking forward to doing some kids clothing, though for now I'm going to keep being selfish and concentrate on making some clothes that will fit me for the next few months at least, and hopefully right through!

      Delete
  3. Congratulations!! And your Scout is lovely, I can see why you nabbed the dress to refashion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Morgan! This was a really satisfying re-fashioning as I've had this dress for 3 years now and never done anything with it - it's nice not seeing it in the 'to do' pile anymore.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations, hope you are feeling well. How lovely that you will have a little person to sew for too - so many great patterns out there! Your fabric really shows off the pattern well - I am on a pattern buying ban but it is very tempting! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! yes, I've already got one Oliver + S pattern i got in a sale and look forward to trying some of Made By Rae's children's patterns as well, and discovering lots of new ones I'm sure!

      Delete
  5. what a great Scout! love the fabric - it's perfect. and congrats again - exciting times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shivani! I love your 3/4 length sleeve scouts and will definitely need to give that a go for the Autumn months.

      Delete
  6. Yay to the Scout. It is such a lovely tee pattern and this one is just great. You'll have to start some in knit soon to accommodate that gorgeous new belly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely want to make some knit ones, even more so after seeing Nettie's latest version!

      Delete
  7. Congrats Kathryn! I'm so happy and excited for you!! You will have more sewing in store!
    Your new top looks so pretty and light, perfect for summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erin! Yes, plenty more sewing in store I'm sure!

      Delete
  8. That is a very cute top. The fabric is beautiful and colorful. I didn't know you were pregnant either. Congrats! I'm sure you'll have lots of fun making children's clothing when the time comes. I can't wait to do that myself, in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, I'm looking forward to sewing children's clothes - once I get some maternity clothes sorted out!

      Delete