Friday 24 April 2015

Kids Clothes Week...so far

Sewing for one hour, every day, for one week. That's the aim of Kids Clothes Week. I'm doing pretty well so far.  Since Monday I've sewn, or prepared for sewing, for at least an hour a day, usually longer.  I braved it on Monday and started sewing during naptime (otherwise I'd never have got any done) and Harris didn't wake up - yay! So that's me got some sewing time now, for as long as he has a naptime, and I'm going to make the most of it.  Yesterday I didn't get anything done as I was working during the day then my husband surprised me with concert tickets for Grouper in the evening - a lovely surprise and such a good gig!

See Kate Sew Recess Raglan knit tee

I've finished one t-shirt - a gift for a 3 year old. Once again I used the See Kate Sew Recess Raglan .  A few years back a friend bought me a book of Sukie transfers which I'd been meaning to try out for ages.  Her daughter's third birthday seemed the perfect occasion to break them out. I did a few testers on scraps of this peach jersey, to see how long to hold the iron on & whether it would wash ok.  I put it through a 40 degree wash and it came out fine which was a relief as there'd be no point in a child's t-shirt that couldn't go in the wash!


This really is such a simple make and even done in little segments of time, it doesn't take long at all.  I used the vari-overlock stitch on my Bernina to finish all the seams neatly, and used a twin-needle on the hem.  After messing up the hem on my plantain tshirt (unblogged) I've learned to do a test with the twin-needle now to get the tension right. The only alteration I made was the same as last time, to lengthen the neck-band piece. This time I got it right first time. Let's just hope it fits the recipient now, fingers crossed!  I'm really happy with how this top turned out though looking at it now I wish I'd placed the tree slightly higher up but that's a minor quibble. Here's hoping the recipient likes it!

Pile of things to sew!

Still another 3 days left of KCW and I've a huge pile cut out & in varying states of sewing. 3 Recess Raglan's, an Oliver + S Sketchbook shirt & 2 pairs of Sunny Day shorts - all for Harris!  Hopefully I can get a wee bit done tonight.  I love how this challenge really makes me appreciate even the odd 15 minutes at the sewing machine and I feel like I'm so much more productive, here's hoping I can keep it up after the week is over!  How's it going for you if you're participating in KCW this time?

12 comments:

  1. Yey, well done. Having a deadline is really motivating. Looking forward to seeing your other makes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're not so nproductive yourself, you know!!! This is great and so cute! Hush for sewing during nap times! I remember being so upset when E stopped napping!!! I really only have this until I go back to work, but I am making the most of it, as you can tell. I'm not doing KCW, but I like the idea so may join in next time. Looking forward to seeing the other makes!!! And that Plantain if you get the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helen! Haha yes I've been told to enjoy naptime for as long as it lasts!

      Delete
  3. Well done Kathryn! That is such a sweet T-shirt, I'm sure the recipient will be over the moon. I wanted to quickly say that if you'd like to borrow a couple of editions of Ottobre magazine, let me know. They are quite expensive to buy and I'd be happy to send them to you. Email me your postal address if you're interested (sozoblog (at) g mail (dot) com) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Zoe! and thanks so much for the offer of Ottobre magazine! I'll email you. X

      Delete
    2. Don't forget to email me your address! xx

      Delete
  4. I love the transfer you added to the shirt! I am excited to see the shorts you make. I just made my first pair of sunny day shorts yesterday. I plan to start another pair today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. I love the shorts you made! I didn't get the pairs I had planned sewn up and now the weather has turned colder again but I will get them done soon.

      Delete
    2. The weather sure can play some tricks on us. Hope you have pleasant weather headed your way.

      Delete