Friday 10 April 2015

Recess Raglan #1

Some more children's sewing from me - a Sew Kate Sew Recess Raglan tee.


I am so happy with this one. I love the colour combination and the fabrics are both really nice and soft. Also they're both left-overs from t-shirts I made myself, so good for the environment & for my wallet. I would really recommend this pattern as the instructions were clear, it's a bargain price at $8 for ages 18 month to 8 years, and there is so much scope for exciting fabric combinations.




I sewed up the 3/4 length sleeve with sleeve bands option.  My only issue with it was the neck band piece seemed very small and once attached it was too small to fit over his head.  I went up one size for the neck band plus an extra couple of cm and after 3 attempts, and some tantrums on my part, I finally got it to fit. This pattern works well as a sweatshirt too and I'm sure I'll make lots more versions of this. It felt so nice to sew something for my boy and see him wearing it. I know he's too young to tell me whether he likes it or not but if I'm sewing him things that are comfy to wear and bright and cheery then I'm sure we're both happy!

I'm really looking forward to Kids Clothes Week and would like to try and sew something to tie in with the Wild Things theme. The 'In the forest' post on the KCW blog particularly appealed, I love the applique foxes! I'm sure most readers here read So, Zo... what do you know? but in case you missed it she did a brilliant two part post on independent children's clothing patterns, part 1 and part 2.  I also love Elena's DIY mini-Hemlock tee for her wee boy so I might need to try that too!  Any other kids sewing patterns you'd recommend?


14 comments:

  1. So cute! love the mix of fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Me too, I'm going to go through all my scraps & see what other combinations I can find.

      Delete
  2. I love the stripes! And thanks for the heads up about kids patterns x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, I could live in stripes in the summer!

      Delete
  3. Too cute! Love the stripes! I have been meaning to make a raglan tee for my girls and this has fired me up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hila! Go for it, I'm sure your girls would love some!

      Delete
  4. So sweet. I love the stripes and colour combination. I've a book called Sewing Clothes Kids Love, it has tee shirt, jacket for boys with lots of variations but I've only made girls tees and skirts from it so may not be worth it for a boy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Thank you & thanks for the recommendation. I just had a wee look & it does look like a lovely book, though does seem to have more girls than boys. I'll see if I can get it through the library I think.

      Delete
  5. Ohh I LOVE this. A real scrap buster too. It's such a great feeling using up every scrap of fabric. I've not made the boys tops yet, but maybe I will rectify that during KCW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise! I'd really recommend this pattern too though the raglan sleeves do use quite a bit more fabric than normal sleeves I think,

      Delete
  6. This is too cute, and so's your kiddo! And good on you for sewing through some scraps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Morgan! I've got another 2 tees cut out of scraps already - it's so satisfying!

      Delete
  7. So so cute. I love he colour combo!! All the jersey scraps I have are fairly drapey and don't seem like a good choice for boys. What kind of fabric do you use? Is it quite stable?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen! I'd say both these jerseys are pretty drapey as they're left-overs from Tshirts I made myself. I was thinking about using some old Tshirts of my husbands though & buying some from charity shops to cut up to make him some that are a bit thicker & more hard wearing.

      Delete