Sunday 28 June 2015

Quick fix sewing - Sailor Top



Another jersey make from me - can you tell I'm craving quick fix sewing at the moment? Last Saturday I was meeting up with some sewing buddies, none of whom I'd met IRL before (how amazing is this sewing community eh?!) and I decided on Friday night that I wanted something new to wear. I am in real need of some more t-shirts so I thought I would give Marilla Walker's Sailor top a try. I love her versions and Grosgrain Green's and wanted one for myself! However I didn't have enough striped jersey so I decided to use some more of the bright pink I used for a plantain. Then I discovered some pink/white scraps from a Maria Denmark Kimono tee I made 2 summer's ago (sadly sent to the textile recycling as the jersey had bobbled terrible, and stretched out of shape due to me wearing it throughout my pregnancy!). The pinks matched perfectly - it was meant to be!!


A perfect colour match!
The PDF was really easy to match up the pages as the pattern is basically squares.  After reading Helen's post where she mentioned that the shoulder gussets exposed a bit of bra strap I decided to add a bit of length to the gussets (as an aside isn't gusset a great word?!) and this has worked really well. I got a bit confused with the instructions for attaching the should gussets and somehow attached them inside out, but luckily it's a woven jersey stripe and not printed so you don't notice it.  Marilla suggests using ribbon or bias tape to stabilise the neckline and gives really good instructions on doing this. I used it on one side of the neckline but then just tried topstitching on the other side to see what the difference is, the topstiched side looks ok but if I make it again I'll definitely use ribbon on the neckline as it looks much crisper.


I just love the shape of this top. I wouldn't usually go for something so cropped but I love it. All in all my quick fix was a great success! I'd highly recommend this pattern for a quick but satisying sew with a stylish result. Thanks Marilla! Since I made this both Jenna and Minnado's House have made gorgeous versions! Me and Jenna both wore ours for the sewing meet-up on Saturday - great minds! Have you been doing any quick fix sewing recently? Any favourite patterns for a quick sew?

9 comments:

  1. I love that top! The detail at the shoulders is such fun! I've been loving circle skirts as quick sews lately. I tend to make them from knit fabric so they only sewing I do is attaching the waist band.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Louisa! Thank you! ooh yeah a circle skirt in knit fabric does sound like a nice quick sew, especially without hemming!

      Delete
  2. Fabulous, I adore wearing bright pink I find it really cheers me up. This is a great little T-shirt the shoulder detail really makes it special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise! I'd really recommend this pattern. I love wearing pink too, in fact any bright colours cheer me up!

      Delete
  3. I love the bright pink sailor top. It's so bright and cheery. The striped shoulders are a nice touch. Hope you had a fabulous meet up day. Thank you for the compliment on my top too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think I'd like to try one in a stripey fabric next!

      Delete
  4. What a perfect justification for keeping scraps! It looks great on you; really stylish and relaxed :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yes! Though I've just put a huge pile of scraps out for fabric recylcing, all wovens though, so hopefully I won't end up hoarding too many scraps again!

      Delete