Monday 1 October 2012

Sew Over It - weekend dressmaking class

It's only taken me two weeks but I've finally got round to writing about the weekend dressmaking course I too at the Sew Over It shop in Clapham (details of the course here).  I had such a great weekend and learned so much, small tips about simple things like cuttings and ironing, as well as bigger things like how to use an overlocker!  More importantly I came away feeling more confident about sewing, which is a boost a beginner like me really needs.  The two tutors, Dominique and Freia, were really lovely, and very helpful and the other girls in the class were lovely too.  With only five people to a class it's very good value for money as there's plenty of time for all your questions - as well as some delicious cake and lots of tea!

Proudly wearing my new skirt - the same day I made it!
The first day is devoted to making a circle skirt - we cut the pattern from our own measurements so it fits really well.  This was my first time making a waistband and only my second time inserting a zip (first time in an item of clothing).  The fabric I used is really soft with a nice drape to it which I bought in Copenhagen recently.   When I saw it the colours just reminded me of autumn so I had to buy it.  It worked really well for this skirt as the drape in the skirt actually works to hold it down a bit and reduce the chances for flashing that a circle skirt can result in!  The only problem with this though, and I can't see how it's anything they could sort in the class really, is that as I didn't leave it to hang the hem is now a bit uneven.  I suppose what I should have done is left it unhemmed, taken it home and hung it for a while before hemming - however I have no patience, and part of the excitement is getting it made in one day!

On the Sunday we made 'the ultimate shift dress'.  This meant darts and a hook and eye fastening at the back.  It was my first time making a dress, and my first time making my own covered button for above the hook and eye fastening.  I'm so happy and I've already worn it two Friday nights in a row!  Apologies in advance for my poor quality images of the dress - I really need to get my camera fixed as the phone photos just aren't cutting it! Also, I need to remember to take more photos when I'm wearing the clothes I've made as this dress looks so much more flattering on than it does in this photo - especially with a lovely gold belt I've got. The mustard/gold fabric is from Ray Stitch - I love this shop, and it's on my walk home from work - bonus!  The fabric is a beautiful organic bamboo cotton and it's so soft.  They have a great range of colours and it costs £12 a metre.  The gorgeous fabric on the sleeves was a present from a friend in Copenhagen.  It was a little square of fabric (Japanese?) which must have been intended as a table runner but I'm sure is much happier as the decorative part of my dress! 

Dress and skirt - products of a busy weekend at Sew Over It

Close-up of my cap sleeves
If anyone at the start of their journey learning to sew has saved some money and is swithering about whether to go to a class, or what class to go to,  I can thoroughly recommend this Intro to Dressmaking weekend at Sew Over It.  It was £170 for the weekend, two days 10 - 5, five people a class.  It seems a lot of money but when you work it out that's £14 an hour.  Plus you get to take the two patterns home so you can make as many more as you like!

8 comments:

  1. Well done! They both look great and love your colours

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Until I got my winter clothes out the suitacase last week I hadn't realised how much I do change colour schemes for autumn /winter. Lucky you to be going into Spring/summer time!

      Delete
  2. Oooh! Pretty skirt :) I am working on finishing my first circle skirt at the moment! The hem is the hardest bit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Are you leaving your skirt to hang for a while before you hem it? I really wish I had as I can't quite face re-hemming it now. Looking forward to seeing your circle skirt when it's done!

      Delete
  3. That skirt is gorgeous! What great fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I just so wish I'd hung it before I hemmed as I think I'm going to have to re-hem - it seems to be getting even more uneven!

      Delete
  4. Hi Kathryn, they both look great! I wanted to email you directly but don't see your email listed. I also took the shift dress class about a year ago and loved it. I wondered if you could help me with a bit of the pattern though? In our class, which was in autumn, they only included the instructions for the longer sleeves. I drafted the shorter sleeves and made them in class with help from Dominique but I don't have the instructions and can't remember exactly what I did. So steps 11-16 would be a bit different. I could probably fiddle with it and possibly figure it out, but as I'm still a beginner dressmaker I thought I should have the instructions! I've email them to get those steps, but haven't heard back. They may get back to me soon but I'm making it now and thought you could possibly help me. Here's my shift dress just so you know I'm not trying to score a free pattern, or part of one! http://foundnowhome.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/sew-over-it.html If you have the sleeve steps and could possibly email the instructions if it's not trouble. -Leigh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leigh, thanks for commenting! I've sent you an email with the sleeve instructions. I hope they make sense. I keep meaning to make another of these dresses but would need to grade it out at the hips so keep moving it down my sewing list! Looking forward to seeing your dress!

      Delete